This simple salad is made with sturdy vegetables and will last days in your fridge without wilting. Kale is a green that can grow year long in many places. As it doesn’t have to travel as far to reach our plates, it is often higher in nutrients that can rapidly degrade during transport including B-vitamins and antioxidants.
How To Shred Beets
First, wash beets well. If you want to peel the skin off, use a potato peeler to remove the skin. I prefer to leave the skin on as a high amount of the nutrients lay just under the skin (you can use a vegetable scrubbing brush to clean the skin well). Use a hand grater and grate the beets. Alternatively, you can use the grating attachment on a food processor.
The kale and beet are great hearty vegetables that do not go soggy when stored. If you are making a batch of this salad to have throughout the week, omit the other greens, and add the sliced apple and walnuts prior to serving.
Adding Toasted Walnuts
To toast walnuts, preheat an oven to 350°F and bake the walnuts for 8 to 10 minutes before adding to the salad.
Raw Beetroot Salad with Kale Apple and Dill
- 1 large apple
- 1 large beet
- 1 small bunch kale
- 3 cups baby spinach or any other greens
- 1/4 cup dill fresh
- 1 cup walnuts halves
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar unpasteurized
- 1 tsp seeded mustard
- 2 tbsp honey raw
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper ground
- If using toasted walnuts: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Roughly chop the walnuts before placing on a baking tray. Bake them in the oven for about 8 to 10 minutes or until nice and toasted, giving the tray a quick shake midway. Remove and set aside to let cool.
- While the walnuts are toasting, prepare the vegetables. Wash and de-stem the kale. Roughly chop into bite-sized pieces and add it to a large salad bowl along with the washed baby spinach and chopped dill.
- Next, prepare the beet. Option to peel it first, or skip this step and simply grate the entire washed beet (skin and all!). Add this to the bowl of kale and spinach.
- Wash the apple, and core it before thinly slicing it. Add the sliced apple to the rest of the salad ingredients.
- To prepare the dressing place all of the ingredients in a glass jar. Close the lid tightly and give it a good shake. Season to taste. Alternatively, you can blend all ingredients in a small blender, adding in the olive oil last to gently mix.
- To serve the salad, top with the walnuts and drizzle with the dressing. If not serving immediately it is fine to dress the salad beforehand to let the kale soak up the flavour of the dressing, but be sure to only add the apple and walnuts prior to serving.